Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Make-You-Jealous-Because-You're-Not-Here Report


The reason I’m able to post online blogs right now is because I finally found a place nearby that offers free Wi-Fi.  Sure, it’s a few blocks away, but I don’t want to pay $10 an hour at the hotel.

On April 9 I signed up for a whole bunch of touristy fun things to do.  I found that it was a lot easier to do these bookings at the hotel because there is a person at a desk during the day who is commissioned for your participation in such activities.  Shontel (please forgive me if I’ve misspelled your name) was very eager to accommodate me and was able to point me in the right direction.  A word of advice, though:   The Powerboat Adventure gets booked easily, so that may be an activity you may want to plan before you arrive, especially if you’re only in the Bahamas for a few days.  Personally, I wanted to do this during my last week here, so that was no problem.

April 10 I was picked up by a short bus.  That sounded bad, I know.  Truth is that there are very few long buses here.  I guess you have to be pretty darn smart to get on one of those.  The bus took me to Prince George Wharf where I boarded the Total Package.  I could have seriously made a whole lot of dirty jokes there.

We rode to the Sea Gardens, a protected area where we snorkeled for three quarters of an hour.  I was really amazed at the quantity and color of the fish.  I guess I see it on TV and never take it for granted that they had to take these shots from somewhere.  It was truly beautiful.  I guess they wanted us to stay on the surface, so we were required to wear life vests.  You can see some of the fish here:











Once we got on board, I was a bit cold because the water out there isn’t as warm as it is by the beach, and I forgot my towel for the trip.  Oh well.  That certainly didn’t stop me, though.  We landed on Athos Island after quickly eating a good lunch.  I jet skied for about 15 minutes and came back.  Afterwards, I parasailed and then rode a banana boat.  I think I liked jet skiing best.  It was a great afternoon of playing in the sun and the water.

On the way back to the wharf many people danced on the deck.  I’m not exactly a dancer (I think it’s related to my whiteness.  I don’t think my tan sessions went very deep), so I just watched.

Back at the hotel I took a shower and then walked toward the downtown area for some dinner.  I thought Señor Frogs sounded interesting.  It was!  Above me were images of people above me in inner tubes wearing skinny bikinis.  A sign next to a table read “sex machine” and pointed to a particular chair.  A lady walked out, obviously drunk telling the concierge that if you ask God he will provide.  She was talking about beads she must have gotten inside which closely matched her dress.  It must have been karaoke night, because the music was awful.  Ha ha.  Everyone was having a good time though.  I ate blackened chicken fajitas under a light that went out and then turned back on about every five minutes.  I really stuffed myself; the food was very gratifying.

April 11 I started the day pretty early.  I got picked up by my bus at 7:45 am, which is like 5:45 my time.  I am completely off of my normal sleep schedule!  Anyway, I went to Dolphin encounters.  It was a wonderful way to spend about a couple hundred dollars.  Instead of telling you about it, you should watch this video:


I could have stayed on Blue Lagoon Island (where Brooke Shields starred in the movie The Blue Lagoon, but it became overcast and windy, so I decided to head back to New Providence Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment