Saturday, May 22, 2010

May Madness


In Gardiner, the winter is pretty droll, but once tourists start arriving, everything gets crazy.  We’ve been full at the hotel for a couple weeks now, but we haven’t received our summer help yet.  So we’re short on housekeepers and everyone’s been pitching in to help clean rooms.  I’ve been working overtime, Trever has too.  Michael’s been coming in just about every day.  It’s nice to see the larger paychecks that come in, though.  As a consequence, my sleep schedule is completely shifted.  For example, a couple weeks ago I came in to help at the front desk and clean rooms about 8:00 am.  If you know me, you know that I’m not a morning person!

Last weekend, I only had about nine hours sleep.  May 14 I went into work at 10:00 pm like normal and got off at 6:00 am.  Michael lets me take a nap at work so long as it doesn’t interfere with my job or other guests, and I’ve rarely taken him up on the offer, but I did that night.  I just took an hour nap in the back office once the guests had gone to bed.  I needed it too because the next morning I had to drive to Bozeman.  I had promised my friend Kam that I would attend the MS Walk in Bozeman May 15 at 10:00 am via Facebook Events.  I made it and we walked through Bozeman about four miles.  At the walk I saw several people that I had gone to high school with who are still in the area—Brad, Shannon, and Lisa.  It was good to see them.  I met Kam’s dad too; I thought he was a pretty cool guy—very ambitious.  After the walk I briefly saw my aunt at her workplace, and then I slept for about three hours at her condo.  That evening I went to Livingston and ate dinner with Kevin, Dad, and Bonnie, and then went to Gardiner and back to work.  Again I took an hour nap at work.  I had to work late that morning because everyone has been on a slightly different schedule now that it’s so busy.  So that morning I only got about four hours sleep before I had to get up and go to work again.

This week we’ve had a houseguest too.  Chris has been staying with us while he has being doing a painting job here in Gardiner.  It’s been great to have him, but we keep on missing each other because of our schedules.  We finally saw each other Wednesday and I cooked up some chicken on the barbecue for Jean, Chris, and myself.  We had a really good dinner.  Thursday evening I made some tilapia for us too.  Jean loves it when I cook.  She just can’t get enough.  I mentioned that I was going to make some carrots with the fish and Jean just got excited.  I think she likes my cooking.

May 20 was pretty busy in itself, aside from my cooking that evening.  During the morning and afternoon, I helped clean rooms at the Super 8.  We had a lot of check-outs on my floor, so it was slow-going.  After working a full day, I went home and cooked some dinner and watched some TV with Chris and Jean.  I had been invited to try out the Yellowstone Basin Inn’s new hot tub, so I went over there that evening.  It took me a good half hour before I really relaxed.  I guess I’ve really been uptight lately!  So I tried out the hot tub for about an hour and then went home.

So for the past couple weeks I’ve been working six days of the week.  I can’t do that next week though!  I have plans!  Plus Rachel graduates from high school in another week and I’m hoping to be able to see her ceremony.

Since I got back from the Bahamas, I’ve been trying to catch up on a lot of things.  I still have to catch up on all of our mail, but hopefully I’ll have the majority of the mail figured out this weekend.

The madness hasn’t ended yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment