Friday, October 8, 2010

The Gardiner Bruins Isn't Just a Team...


I know I still have to write about Jean's and my trip on Beartooth Pass last week, but before I do, I wanted to tell you about a newspaper story that occurred near my home.
Coop-raiding grizzlies back in Yellowstone
BOZEMAN (AP) -- Three grizzly bears that raided chicken coops near Gardiner have been relocated into Yellowstone National Park, but a male bear that had been hanging out near the school in West Yellowstone was not so fortunate....
Also Tuesday, FWP [Fish, Wildlife and Parks] officials captured a female grizzly and two cubs that raided two separate chicken coops in the Gardiner area.
The sow was in fair condition and the cubs were thin and biologists are uncertain if they will survive the winter.
Yes, the sow and two cubs killed about 14 chickens across the road from me about a quarter-mile away.  When I went to work, I saw the bear cage in their yard, but I couldn't see the grizzly if it was there.  I was sorry to hear about the chickens.  I saw them on a regular basis on my way to Gardiner.

It's kind of interesting when the news reports something that's close to you.

I've been having a grizzly boar in my yard lately, and he's messed up a couple trees.

Also one of our neighbors' cats is missing.  I still haven't seen that cat, and I hope that Puff hasn't turned into a grizzly snack.

1 comment:

  1. Update: 5 of Kelly's chickens came back out of the woods, so the bears only devoured 9. I'm glad that Kelly's losses weren't as bad as initially thought.

    ReplyDelete