Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Power Line & Party


Thursday, April 14, Jean had to register for her veterinary conference and spend the day with her continuing education.  So, I had the whole day to myself.

I decided that I was going to hike on the island for awhile, but I didn’t want to go crazy.  I know that the 11-mile trail to the Na Pali region is “It,” but I wasn’t that adventurous this time.  I kinda drove around until I found something I liked.

I saw Opaekaa Falls on my way to my final destination.

Opaekaa Falls

I started on the south end of the Powerline trail which starts near the Keahua Arboretum.  The trail is well-established and follows a power line that crosses the island, for the most part.  Although I could easily see the trail, I couldn’t get off of the trail because I was literally surrounded by jungle.  Besides, if I went too far off trail I would just fall down the mountain.  These mountains are very steep, and caution has to be taken.  I’m glad I wore my hiking shoes because the trail was fairly muddy.  By the way—the red dirt out here will never come out of any clothes, so hiking in Kauai basically requires clothes that you don’t mind destroying.  The trail went up the ridge of a mountain which I followed for about 2.75 miles.  Once I got to about the top of one mountain and was about to get on top of another mountain, I decided that I should get back to hotel because Jean and I had other things planned. ;p  In all, I ended up hiking about five miles round-trip.

My hike along Powerline Trail.  Source:  "Powerline Trail."  22.071526° N and 159.417915° W.  Google Earth.  April 26, 2011.  January 5, 2004.





After my hike I went to Wailua Falls.  It's pretty close to a road, so there's little hiking to see it:



Wailua Falls
Jean finished her classes for the day and she and I got ready for the event that night.  We met her friends Jay and Jane at one of the ballrooms at the Marriott where we had a luau.  This was Jean’s and my first time at a real luau.  “Dinner and a show” explains what we got pretty well; hula and fire dancing hallmarked the evening.  Jean thought the almost naked dancing guy was cute.  The food was exotic and wonderful.  I don’t think I’ve eaten a purple sweet potato before, or ate rolls made with taro.  Jean and I had basil and coconuts with dinner.


After we waddled back to our room, we simply fell asleep, awaiting the adventures of the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment