Sunday, September 30, 2012

Hiking to Pioneer Falls


On Saturday, September 22, Jaret and I hiked to Pioneer Falls near Gallatin Gateway, Montana.

I've typically hiked in Yellowstone National Park, but I haven't really explored the rest of the area that I live in.  There are so many awesome places to see, but because of my proximity to the park, I've normally stayed in that area.  Since I'm still on my leave of absence, I'm taking advantage of the ability to come and go a little bit.

I picked up a topographical map of the area from Northern Lights Trading Company and we got some lunch before heading to the trail head.  Even before we arrived there, we could see the colorful trees at Spanish Creek.





Although the area had a few hikers and campers already there, it didn't seem crowded, even for a Saturday.  From the parking area we hiked along Spanish Creek until we came to a fork and then followed Falls Creek.  We went up some switchbacks to finally get to Pioneer Falls where we explored around a bit.

The fall colors were starting to come out.  There were a few snow berries and rose hips along the path.  One cliff that was next to us was made of granite, but there was evidence that a glacier had moved through the narrow valley.  There was still a bit of smoke in the air lingering from fires in Oregon and Washington.  We only saw a couple grouse along the path, but couldn't get very close to them.

Jaret rests along the path to Pioneer Falls.

Autumn in Yellow
A rock cliff near the trail
Although the falls didn't have a lot of water coming down, it was quite beautiful.  We were able to get down to the base of the falls without a lot of difficulty, but we still had to hike down a short cliff.  The rocks down there are pretty slippery because of the algae growing on them.  I had to be especially careful that I had good footing down there near the base.



Jaret at Pioneer Falls
Me at Pioneer Falls
Pioneer Falls
The pool at the base of Pioneer Falls
We also spent a little time at the brink of the falls.  There's a lot of room up there to put packs while one explores the base a bit.

In all, I estimate that we hiked about 7.5 miles and only gained an altitude of 800 feet.  It was an easy hike, but was in some beautiful country.  The trail wasn't steep until the very end near the falls, so the altitude change didn't seem very severe at all.

After getting back to Bozeman later, we ate at Applebee's and then went back home.  It was a very enjoyable day.

No comments:

Post a Comment