Monday, February 10, 2014

Invasion of the Behemoth Beasts


Last week, I had several bison stay in my yard for a few days.  Being about five miles from the North Entrance to Yellowstone Park, this isn't a terribly unusual event for me, but since so many of my friends don't have the opportunity to see these things, I consider myself fortunate to be able to encounter these great animals on their trek outside the park.

The issue of the bison exiting Yellowstone is contentious.  People have almost come to blows in public meetings out here.  Many people want to allow the bison to leave the park, especially during the winter, so that they can find food and because they preceded the people who are now on the land.  Others believe that the bison pose a threat to their cattle (via brucellosis) and their property.  Both sides have valid points of view and I stand somewhere in the middle.  I don't mind letting the bison range out here, but property damage is a huge concern since insurance and the government will not reimburse anyone.

Regarding brucellosis, I think that the elk pose a greater danger to the ranchers' cattle than the bison since the bison are so closely managed.  It's interesting that the brucellosis in elk seems to be quietly ignored while bison take the headlines.

One of the ways that bison are managed at this time of year is by hunting them when they leave the park.  I don't have a problem with hunting the animals since it is well-managed, and bison are a good food source for those who hunt it, like the Nez Perce Indians among others.

In any case, I enjoy seeing these great animals, also mistakenly called buffalo, roam my yard.  From February 5-7, 4 and sometimes 5 bulls hung out and munched my grass.  Here are a few photos and a video compilation of my visitors:











No comments:

Post a Comment