Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Catching Up on 2015: A New Career Path


This year has been different for me in that I haven't been writing in my blog... at all! It's not that I haven't had any adventures, but that I haven't bothered to write about them yet. I think it's time to get caught up on all the events that have led up to now, since I anticipate that the future is going to be eventful too.

When I first moved to Renton, Washington in April 2014, I immediately looked for work in the hotel industry, and soon found a position as a guest service representative at a local hotel. Well, in December 2014, I quit that position in search for a new career. I felt, and still do, that I am finished working in the hotel industry.

After my trip to Colombia in November, I believed that it was time to start something new. At first, my sights were set toward Christian ministry since that is where I have wanted to go from childhood. As is often the case, ministry positions do not normally come without having some sort of support from outside. For example, missionaries need to have regular supporters that help them live in another nation. Although I received enormous, gracious support for my trip to Colombia this year, I believed it would take a wide range of support to get the money I wanted for what I wanted to do, and I didn't have that.

As well, I recognized that for ministry I need to have some sort of companion. In the book of Acts, the apostles traveled through the Roman world in pairs. If they could avoid it, they didn't go anywhere alone. I felt it was important that I have some support in what I did, and that it shouldn't be attempted by myself. I have had to do many things by myself in the past few years, and so I have been praying that God would provide a ministry partner.

Between December 2014 and March 2015, my ideals of what I needed for a career changed. During this time, I had acquired part-time work with a car-rental company, but was still searching for a new career path until God would make the way open to work in ministry full-time. I came to a point where I decided that it was more important to build myself up. Then I could take care of my other endeavors.

One day, a friend at church told me, "You know, you should work as a concierge where I work. You would do great, and they have openings!" I submitted my resume for them, but I didn't hear back for awhile, so I didn't put much stock in the hope of a position. Then I received a request for a phone interview, and soon after, a request to have an in-person interview with the senior concierge at the apartment community. Finally, after performing some qualifying tests, I was hired at that apartment community in Bellevue, Washington on March 16.

I have high hopes with this company. The property has a lot of potential, and has allowed me to shine in the areas where I can do best. The work environment is really good, better than I've experienced before. I see a lot of promise in building a career here. At first I was hired part-time, but now I'm working full-time hours. Since we're short-staffed at the moment I'm not officially full-time, but I'm sure that will come in time. If I become an official full-time employee, I receive a pretty nice benefits package too.

When I look at how getting a new career path has transpired, I think I can explain it in a few sentences. At first, I felt sidetracked from my main goals when I went on board with this apartment community company. All things considered, this has become a step in the right direction. Sometimes the most direct path is not the best path. I am grateful that I have a God who watches over me, loves me, and is in control of all things, both good and bad.

I didn't create this path for myself; it was something that was offered to me because of the relationships I had created. This really is a gift from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment