Sunday, May 19, 2013

Birds at Beaver Ponds


Life has changed pretty significantly over the past few years.  Mother's Day is no exception.  I realized this year I no longer had any grandparents and my mom passed away about eight years ago.  Sometimes we walk this life alone, but not quite; since my dad has remarried, I do have a step mother.  I made sure that I called her from Gardiner last week to wish her my best on the holiday.  As well, at the hotel, I was asked if I could cover for another person on Mother's Day for the obvious reasons a mother would have.  I was able to do it, so I did.

After I got off work at the hotel, I decided I wanted to do a little hiking with the moderate weather we've been receiving lately.  After getting a meal, I drove to the Beaver Ponds Loop trailhead in Mammoth.  It's not really recommended that people hike by themselves, but sometimes it doesn't work out for me to do otherwise.  It was a beautiful evening, and I enjoyed the breeze and the color that was starting to arrive at this part of the world.

Spring is so fleeting in this neck of the woods.

I hadn't hiked for about two weeks, and it was good to get outdoors again.  I'm not exactly a winter enthusiast, so I really want to make the most out of the good weather in Montana that we get.  While on the trail I came upon two pair of blue grouse.  The males were displaying, and were making their funny rumbling sounds that reminded me of a soft bass drum.  The little hens paid no attention to me.

A male blue grouse displays.
Herds of whitetail deer, mule deer, and elk were a little concerned at my presence and decided to move away.  Apparently the elk were right in the middle of the curving trail when they ran off.  I only knew they were there in the forest because I could hear their hoofs hitting the ground.

Once the forest opened to the primary Beaver Pond, there were two Sandhill Cranes not 50 yards from my position.  They seemed unaffected by my presence, and I was able to take several shots of these magnificent birds.  In Japan, cranes are venerated much in the same way that bald eagles are venerated here in the United States.  Since it was evening, these birds were preening, and looking around on their long legs.  They're really big birds if you can catch the perspective.  I'd say that they're about four feet tall.  Can you imagine what their wingspans would be?

Sandhill Cranes at Beaver Ponds
On the trail a little garter snake slithered past my feet.  I remembered Michaela last year when Kevin, she, and I went to Sheepeater Cliff, and she was surprised at a little snake.  She just about jumped into Kevin's arms when I excitedly pointed it out!  These little guys are pretty harmless, so there was nothing to worry about.

I didn't see the beaver at pond, but there was an American coot sitting on a log in the pond.  I've seen similar birds in the Bahamas.  At first I didn't recognize the bird, but with magnification on my camera, I was able to make out what kind of bird it was.  I wondered if it was asleep because it didn't move the entire time I walked around the pond.

An American Coot at Beaver Ponds
Heading back to Mammoth, the majority of the trail was on the side of the mountain in an open area.  It was nice to be outside and enjoying the fresh air.  I headed back to my car.

It was such an enjoyable evening.  Much of this week has been rainy.  I could hike in it, but I don't think I'll do it just to be outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment