Monday, July 29, 2013

At the Gallatin County Fairgrounds


A lot really happens in July, and this year is no exception.  This year, I decided that for Independence Day, I would go to Bozeman and listen to the Bozeman Symphony perform at the Gallatin County Fairgrounds.  I know a couple people who perform in the Symphony, my high school band teachers Pat and Paul, who were playing the viola and bassoon respectively.

I arrived early.  I find that when I go to events by myself, I often get less attention than if I'm with others.  It's funny: when I got a program the man who gave it to me said that it was like I was hiding out.  I was in plain sight sitting on the ground next to a bleacher with no one around me!  I thought I stuck out like a sore thumb, but I guess not, huh?

When the Symphony performed, there were fireworks exploding nearby as residents set them off.  I felt like I was in Disneyland when the Symphony was playing excerpts from Beauty and the Beast while fireworks were exploding around us.  Then at the next song, which contained excerpts from Saving Private Ryan, the same fireworks gave a completely different atmosphere to the music.  It was sunset, and a beautiful night to be outside.

The American flag at the Gallatin County Fairgrounds
The Bozeman Symphony performs during sunset at the Gallatin County Fairgrounds.
I very much realized the absence of mosquitos while I was at the fairgrounds.  If I were at my house or in Yellowstone in the evening, I would need insect repellant, and then I would be constantly be shooing moths and caddisflies, but there was hardly a bug in the air that evening.

The symphony did an impressive job, and one of their songs even coordinated with special fireworks.  After the Symphony was finished, everyone enjoyed the $20,000 fireworks show.  It was less than 20 minutes long, so they lit up more than $1,000 of fireworks every minute.  I thought it was very impressive for this part of the country.

I went to Bozeman by myself again to the Gallatin County Fair on July 20 in the late afternoon/evening.  It was a good experience, though it was a hot day.  At the time I was there, swine were being auctioned, so seeing them was pretty limited, but I was able to see most of the exhibits and animals that were competing.  Sometimes it's the small things that I miss; when I got to the fair, I had to get myself a snocone.  I don't remember the last time I've had one!  Examining the exhibits, I enjoyed looking at the photography the most.

I've been having so many adventures this summer, that it's hard to keep up with them all, but I think I'm doing alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment