Friday, December 26, 2014

Leaving Colombia

Our last day in Colombia was November 23.  That morning we went to Christian Faith Community Church for their first service of the day.  There were a couple thousand people in the auditorium at least.

During the praise and worship portion of the service, Carlos, the first man to be saved on this mission trip, came up to us and gave us all hugs.  I could see a difference in his face from earlier that week.

During service, I helped Francy with an announcement about Fresh Wind Children's Center by dressing up in a lion costume!  Unfortunately I was unable to get a video of it because the team member to whom I gave my video camera was praying for someone during the announcement.

After service, our team went into a back room and had lunch.  We saw a presentation that the Children's Center made for us to bring back to the United States.

Later, we went back to the hotel and loaded our luggage on our bus.  We said our good-byes before going to the airport.

Our mission really hadn't even ended on the flight from Medellín to Panama City.  For example, I got in a conversation with the person sitting next to me about our trip.  She wanted me to pray for her, and told me she didn't have a Bible.  I gave her mine once I was able to get to my carry-on.  Our other team members had other similar stories of how they were able to pray for the passengers next to them.

I parted ways with the rest of our team in Panama City.  I flew to LAX, where I had to spend a very uncomfortable night.  (Never again if I can help it!)  I planned on staying the night in the airport, but I didn't expect it to be as terrible as it was.

The main problem was that I was required to go through Customs as soon as I got there, so I was trapped on the terminal side of the airport and unable to go back through security (which is closed late at night) to get gate-side.

There was nowhere comfortable to crash, and there was not even a seat to sit in because they were all filled with people.  It wasn't even a busy night!  I couldn't imagine how uncomfortable it would be if there was some emergency grounding the aircraft.

In any case, early the next morning I made my flight to Seattle and got home.  I was so happy at the end of this trip because of all that God had done, the promises he made to me while I was there, and how appreciated I felt by everyone I helped.

I'm going to miss my new friends in Colombia!

I'm going to miss all of our translators—Carolina, Maria, Kamila, Bibiana, and Pedro (he helped me in Carmen).  I had one other translator on the night we had the street party, but I don't remember her name.  We got along really well, and I enjoyed working beside them.

Our translators exemplified humility, love, and servitude.  They considered it an honor to translate for me, just like Romans 12:10.  They never looked for personal gain but eagerly served me and my other team members with their skill.

I perceived that as they used their spiritual gift of translation and interpretation, God used them in other ways too.  Without their help, none of us would have been able to lead others to Jesus and salvation.  Yet I never heard even one of them say they led someone to him, though it was their right.

Francy does a lot of work at the Children's Center in Medellín.  She went out of her way to say hi to us and to visit whenever we were around.  I know that Tom and Jen, the primary missionaries at the Center, would be at a loss without her help.  I'm sure that Francy had some difficult things to manage, but I never saw her without a smile.  Often she was behind the scenes, and the only reason we saw anything of her was because she came out of the office.

Francy, Carolina, myself, Kamila, and Bibiana
Me and Maria (Bibiana is a photobomb expert.)
Tom, Jen, and their children Alex, Abby, and Gabe make an amazing family.  Everyone in Tom's family is bilingual and show the same humility I saw in our regular translators. 

Tom and Jen have a special connection with the people in Colombia.  Although by local definition, they are "gringos," they fit in the society and the people look up to them.  It was truly a pleasure to see how a successful missionary family (successful in Christ and not by the world's standards) works.  Not only do they have a sincere love for the people, and especially the children of Colombia, God gives Tom and Jen special insight and good sense.


I have no idea if Tom can play the guitar, but this is a great photo anyway. (Photo by Michele)
Abby, Jen, Alex, and Gabe at the Peñol-Guatapé Reservoir (Photo from Jen's camera)
Saying good-bye to all these people and others, I knew that I would miss them very much.  We finally got on the bus and went to the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment