Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Starting a Bible Study



On May 3, something unusual happened. I went to New Life Church as normal that morning. I had to go to work unexpectedly for a brief time, so I left after my duties were finished at church.

By the time I had finished helping at work, church was over. As I drove back toward Renton, I decided to stop in Factoria to get something to eat since there were several fast food restaurants there. I knew that I was going to have the night off with my aunt, and that we'd be spending time together. I also realized that she probably wanted to have Mexican, so I crossed Taco Time off the list, but I went to Taco Bell instead. I don't even know why I did it since it made no sense to me.

I didn't feel comfortable at Taco Bell because I didn't trust some of the people there. I sat in the corner, facing away from the crowd. This was also unusual because I normally face the people in a restaurant, and I already didn't trust some of them.

After I finished eating I realized that some people behind me were talking about the Bible. They were discussing 2 Corinthians 4. One of them was trying to help the other two understand what it meant, and he was doing a pretty good job at it. But there came a point at which he couldn't really explain what 2 Cor. 4:8-9 meant.

I turned around and told them I could help them understand this and asked if they'd like me to help. They invited me, so I explained the whole thing to them.

Weeks later, I asked how they started the Bible study together. Sometime during the week before May 3, a homeless man asked Caleb about the Bible and wanted to understand more of it. To Caleb, this was fairly random, but he knew who this guy was because he'd had some interactions with him. Caleb answered some of his questions, but knew there were too many to be able to answer all at once. He suggested that they meet for a Bible study that following Sunday, May 3 at Taco Bell. That's how they met me.

Since we've started this Bible study, we've seen one man give his heart to Jesus, and another rededicated his life to Him. We started studying the book of John on May 10, and this coming Sunday we're going to be studying John 18. We've also changed locations. By the way, the guy who originally had questions about the Bible is already saved.

God is changing the hearts of the homeless in Factoria, Washington.

God has given me some new friends.

Then Jesus said to his host, "When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or sisters, your relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous." (Luke 14:12-14 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment